When should I consider surgery?
1. When your lower urinary tract symptoms get worse, even if you are already receiving drug treatment
2. When you have complications of BPE/BPH or if youare at risk of getting them. Complications include:
- Kidney failure
- Dilatation of your kidneys
- Inability to urinate (urinary retention)
- Recurring urinary tract infection
- Recurring blood in the urine
3. If you do not tolerate drug treatment very well
4. If you prefer surgery over drug treatment(due to poor compliance with drugs)
Duringmost of the surgical treatment, the urologist, willremove the enlarged part of your prostate (also known as adenoma). There are different types of surgical procedures, but all of them aim to relieve your symptoms and improve the flow of urine.